Click a logo below to get a quote on your car insurance


ctp_logo Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP)

It is required by law for each motorist to hold CTP Insurance in Australia. It protects the driver or owner of the vehicle from personal injury claims made against them in the case of an accident. CTP is important because If someone gets injured through a road accident then CTP will pay for their medical expenses and often lost wages if that has accured.

In Victoria, CTP insurance is provided to all Victorians through the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) and is included in the registration price your vehicle with VicRoads; both of these organisations are owned by the Victorian Government.

Registration is calculated based on where you live and also, for first time registration of a vehicle, the market value of the car. It is a no fault system covering all parties injured in the accident. See TAC or VicRoads for more information

Go to the Car Cost Calculator to get an indication of what your CTP and Registration costs are or visit the relevant authority in your state.


rego_logo Registration

In Victoria you need to register your vehicle with VicRoads with the cost including Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP). There are several things you need to do before you can start driving your car;

1) Get your drivers license
2) If required, obtain a Road Worthy Certificate (RWC)
3) Once the above two items have been covered then you can go and register/license your vehicle.

Registration fees are different when the car is being registered for the first time. You will also need to pay a fee when you transfer the registration of the vehicle into another name, such as when you sell/buy a vehicle. To calculate your motor vehicle registration fees and/or transfers fee use the VicRoads fee calculator.

Motor vehicle registration (initial)

The cost of registering a motor vehicle for the first time will vary depending on the motor vehicle’s market value and the postcode of the vehicle’s garaged address. A new registration may require you pay a Motor Vehicle Duty and you may also need to provide a RWC before you can register your vehicle, have it transferred or have it sold.

Motor vehicle registration (renewal)

The cost of motor vehicle registration renewal will vary depending on the vehicle type and the postcode of the vehicle’s garaged address.

Vehicle Inspection

In Victoria a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) is generally required when a vehicle is sold or if a used vehicle is to be re-registered. This helps minimise the number of poorly maintained vehicles on the road. A Certificate of Roadworthiness can only be issued by a licensed vehicle tester, operating from a nominated garage or service station. See VicRoads for more information.

Transfer fee and motor vehicle duty (for buying or selling a vehicle)

VicRoads charges a transfer fee is of $31.20. Motor vehicle duty is a tax payable when a vehicle is registered or transferred to another registered operator. The motor vehicle duty fee will vary depending on the market value of the motor vehicle.

Checking a vehicle for finance & other details before purchase

It is important to check a vehicle for financing or if there is something illegal about the car before purchasing it. The last thing you want to do is spend your hard earned money on a car only to have it taken away by the bank because they hold security over it from an unpaid loan from the previous owner. A Vehicle Information Package (VIP) costs $24 from VicRoads and checks can be done on the internet or by phone.

keys License

All states and territories in Australia use a national driver license system. The national license classes contribute to road safety by better matching licence classes to the types of vehicles used on Australian roads making it easier to move between different States and Territories. License classes available are;

car Car

Car licenses apply to vehicles not exceeding 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and which carries less than 11 passengers.

motorcycle2 Motorcycle

Applies to 2 or three wheeled vehicle including using a sidecar or trailer with your motorbike.

light_rigid light_rigid2 Light Rigid (LR)

Applies to any rigid vehicle (ie, truck or bus) which is between 4.6-8.0 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you LR license.

medium_rigid_bus medium_rigid_truck Medium Rigid (MR)

Allows you to drive a two axel rigid vehicle more than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you MR license

heavy_rigid_bus heavy_rigid_truck Heavy Rigid (HR)

Can drive a rigid vehicle with 3 or more axels greater than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months to get you HR license.

heavy_combin1 heavy_combin2 Heavy Combination (HC)

Allows you drive a prime mover, single semi-trailer or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months and your MR for 12 months to get you HC license.

MC1 MC2 Multi Combination (MC)

Allows you to drive the same vehicles as a HC license although enable you to add one or more additional trailers. You must complete a course for you MC license and also held you HR or HC license for at least 12 months.

To find out more visit Victoria’s Licensing authority VicRoads


custplates2 Custom Number Plates

Victoria has a great customer plate website which is run by Vic Roads. Number plates in Victoria come in a huge range of colours, styles, themes and you can even order future or past standard issue plates. New styles are often being introduced the latest being the Zodiac series and the EU style plates.

Custom plate prices range from $195 - $3995 for cars and $195 - $495 for motorcycles which have less plate styles available. The not yet released heritage plates will be the most expensive at $10,000 with 0-99,999 being released through auction only.

See the Vplates website for more information and start designing your custom number plate.


handcuff Demerit Points and Fees