Click a logo below to get a quote on your car insurance


ctp_logo Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP)

It is required by law for each motorist to hold CTP Insurance in Australia. It protects the driver or owner of the vehicle from personal injury claims made against them in the case of an accident.  

CTP insurance in Tasmania is proved in the registration price of your vehicle and is provided by the Motor Accidents Insurance Board (MAIB); it is often referred to as the ‘MAIB Premium’.  MAIB provides no fault cover for Tasmanians including providing medical and income benefits to those injured in a motor vehicle accident.  Registration of vehicles in Tasmania is provided through The Tasmanian Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER).  See MAIB and the DIER transport site for more information.

Go to the Car Cost Calculator to get an indication of what your CTP and Registration costs are or visit the relevant authority in your state.

rego_logo Registration

In Tasmania you need to register your vehicle with the Transport Tas a website from the Tasmanian Department of Infrastructure, Energy & Resources (DIER).  There are several things you need to do before you can start driving your car;

1) Get your drivers license
2) If required, obtain a vehicle Inspection
3) Once the above two items have been covered then you can go and register/license your vehicle.

The cost of registration in Tasmania is determined by your car or vehicle type.   You will usually also need to pay a fee and/or duty when you transfer the registration of the vehicle into another name, such as when you sell/buy a vehicle.  CTP insurance is included as part of you vehicle registration in Tasmania and is administered by MAIB.

Motor vehicle registration (initial)

Stamp duty usually needs to be paid on any new Tasmanian vehicle registration.  Duty is determined from the market value or cost of your car.  You then register your car with the cost being the non-duty registration costs being the same as for a renewal.

Motor vehicle registration (renewal)

The cost of motor vehicle registration renewal will vary depending on the type of vehicle you have.

Vehicle Inspection

If a vehicle has been out of registration for more than 3 months then to register it you will most likely need to get a vehicle inspection.  Inspections are done through Approved Inspection Stations and you’ll need to bring some documentation with you in order to get your registration and plates.  See Transport Tas for more information.

Transfer fee and motor vehicle duty (for buying or selling a vehicle)

Duty is calculated on the market value of the vehicle. Applicable only for registration issue, re-issue & registration transfers.  See the Transport Tas duty website to calculate your duty.

Checking a vehicle for finance & other details before purchase

DIER offer a free service for people to check a potential vehicle to ensure it is not carrying debt and is not recorded as stolen, defected, wrecked or written-off.   If you want a legally binding document you can obtain a Bill of Sale for around $50.  See the Transport Tas vehicle security interest website for more information.

keys License

All states and territories in Australia use a national driver license system. The national license classes contribute to road safety by better matching licence classes to the types of vehicles used on Australian roads making it easier to move between different States and Territories. License classes available are;

car Car

Car licenses apply to vehicles not exceeding 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and which carries less than 11 passengers.

motorcycle2 Motorcycle

Applies to 2 or three wheeled vehicle including using a sidecar or trailer with your motorbike.

light_rigid light_rigid2 Light Rigid (LR)

Applies to any rigid vehicle (ie, truck or bus) which is between 4.6-8.0 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you LR license.

medium_rigid_bus medium_rigid_truck Medium Rigid (MR)

Allows you to drive a two axel rigid vehicle more than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you MR license

heavy_rigid_bus heavy_rigid_truck Heavy Rigid (HR)

Can drive a rigid vehicle with 3 or more axels greater than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months to get you HR license.

heavy_combin1 heavy_combin2 Heavy Combination (HC)

Allows you drive a prime mover, single semi-trailer or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months and your MR for 12 months to get you HC license.

MC1 MC2 Multi Combination (MC)

Allows you to drive the same vehicles as a HC license although enable you to add one or more additional trailers. You must complete a course for you MC license and also held you HR or HC license for at least 12 months.

To find out more visit Tasmania’s Licensing authority Transport TAS

custplates2 Custom Number Plates

Tasmania has 9 categories of design with a total of 47 plate styles to choose from.   Tasplates manages and issues custom plates in Tasmania and is a long term partnering agreement between the Tasmanian Government and Licensys.

Their website has a six step ordering process from design through to purchase and makes to customise you Tasmanian vehicle number plates.

Plates range from $295 to $1095 for cars, with custom motorcycle plates costing $295.  Tasmania’s latest plate style is called ‘Bling’ and as their website says, it is Bling by Day and Bling Bling by Night with the number plates reacting to night lights.

See Tasplates for more information or to start designing your custom Tasmanian plates.

handcuff Demerit Points and Fees;cond=;doc_id=%2B132%2B1999%2BGS2%40EN%2BSESSIONAL;histon=;prompt=;rec=;term=