Click a logo below to get a quote on your car insurance

South Australia (SA)

ctp_logo Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP)

It is required by law for each motorist to hold CTP Insurance in Australia. It protects the driver or owner of the vehicle from personal injury claims made against them in the case of an accident. 

In South Australia, CTP insurance is provided by the Motor Accident Commission (MAC) and is included in the price of registration which is provided by The South Australian Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DTIE).  The MAC offers an at fault system and does not cover injuries to the driver who is entirely at fault and has contracted Allianz Australia to handle all enquiries and claims relating to motor vehicle accidents resulting in personal injury claims.   See MAC and the DEIT transport site for more details.

Go to the Car Cost Calculator to get an indication of what your CTP and Registration costs are or visit the relevant authority in your state.

rego_logo Registration

In South Australia you need to register your vehicle with the Transport SA.  There are several things you need to do before you can start driving your car;

1) Get your license
2) If required, obtain a vehicle inspection
3) Once the above two items have been covered then you can go and register your vehicle.

Registration fees are calculated on the weight of your vehicle (GVM) and the number of cylinders your vehicle has.   You will also need to pay a fee and/or duty when you transfer the registration of the vehicle into another name, such as when you sell/buy a vehicle.  In SA, CTP insurance is calculated on the vehicle type and the location where the car is registered.

Motor vehicle registration (initial)

Stamp duty usually needs to be paid on any new SA application registration.  Duty is determined from the market value or cost of your car.  You then register your car with the cost being the non-duty registration costs being the same as for a renewal.

Motor vehicle registration (renewal)

The cost of motor vehicle registration renewal will vary depending on the Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and how many cylinders your vehicle has.

Vehicle Inspection

There are three types of inspections; tier 2 identity inspection, tier 3 identity inspection and roadworthy inspection.  If you are just renewing your registration you may not need to get a vehicle inspection but if it is a new registration you most likely will need an inspection of some sort, to check see Transport SA vehicle inspections.

Transfer fee and motor vehicle registration duty (for buying or selling a vehicle)

Transport SA charges a vehicle transfer fee of $21.  Additional motor vehicle stamp duty often applies and is based off the cars value.  See the Transport SA stamp duty calculator to calculate your duty.

Checking a vehicle for finance & other details before purchase

In SA, the Vehicles Security Register offers checks on your vehicle to ensure it is not carrying debt.   You can obtain a check online at EzyReg or by phoning them.  They also provide a service to see if a vehicle is recorded as stolen, defected, wrecked or written-off.

keys License

All states and territories in Australia use a national driver license system. The national license classes contribute to road safety by better matching licence classes to the types of vehicles used on Australian roads making it easier to move between different States and Territories. License classes available are;

car Car

Car licenses apply to vehicles not exceeding 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and which carries less than 11 passengers.

motorcycle2 Motorcycle

Applies to 2 or three wheeled vehicle including using a sidecar or trailer with your motorbike.

light_rigid light_rigid2 Light Rigid (LR)

Applies to any rigid vehicle (ie, truck or bus) which is between 4.6-8.0 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you LR license.

medium_rigid_bus medium_rigid_truck Medium Rigid (MR)

Allows you to drive a two axel rigid vehicle more than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you MR license

heavy_rigid_bus heavy_rigid_truck Heavy Rigid (HR)

Can drive a rigid vehicle with 3 or more axels greater than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months to get you HR license.

heavy_combin1 heavy_combin2 Heavy Combination (HC)

Allows you drive a prime mover, single semi-trailer or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months and your MR for 12 months to get you HC license.

MC1 MC2 Multi Combination (MC)

Allows you to drive the same vehicles as a HC license although enable you to add one or more additional trailers. You must complete a course for you MC license and also held you HR or HC license for at least 12 months.

To find out more visit South Australia’s Licensing authority Transport SA

custplates2 Custom Number Plates

Custom number plates in SA is run by Ezy Plates which is a SA Government owned entity.  There are 10 categories to choose from with a unique category being the state slogan plates.  The range however is not huge and the plate styles are fairly standard.

Like NSW, SA charges an issue fee and also an annual fee.  For corporate and numeric custom plate prices you need to contact Ezy Plates directly.  Issue fees for cars and motorcycles range from $70-$240 with annual fees ranging from $190-$240.

See Ezy Plates for more details and to see the options available.

handcuff Demerit Points and Fees