Click a logo below to get a quote on your car insurance


ctp_logo Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP)

It is required by law for each motorist to hold CTP Insurance in Australia. It protects the driver or owner of the vehicle from personal injury claims made against them in the case of an accident. 

In Queensland, CTP Insurance is regulated by The Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC) but is underwritten by private insurers. Motorists must have CTP insurance before they are able to register their motor vehicle.  There are six registered CTP Insurance providers in QLD and offer different services.  QLD operates under an at fault system; see the MAIC website for more information.

Go to the Car Cost Calculator to get an indication of what your CTP and Registration costs are or visit the relevant authority in your state.

rego_logo Registration

In Queensland you need to register your vehicle with the Queensland Transport.  There are several things you need to do before you can start driving your car;

1) Get your license
2) Get CTP Insurance
3) See if you require a safety certificate or certificate of inspection
4) Once the above two items have been covered then you can go and register your vehicle.

Registration fees are calculated on the weight of your vehicle (GVM) and the number of cylinders your vehicle has.   You will also need to pay a fee and/or duty when you transfer the registration of the vehicle into another name, such as when you sell/buy a vehicle.  

Motor vehicle registration (initial)

Stamp duty needs to be paid on any Queensland application for, or transfer of, registration of a motor vehicle and is usually payable at the time of registration.  Duty is determined from the number of cylinders you car has and the higher of the market value or cost of your car.  You then register your car with the cost being the non-duty registration costs being the same as for a renewal.

Motor vehicle registration (renewal)

The cost of motor vehicle registration renewal will vary depending on the Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and how many cylinders or rotors your vehicle has.

Safety Certificate

A safety certificate is required to be displayed on most registered vehicles from the moment you offer the vehicle for sale.  Safety certificates can only be issued by approved inspection stations.  The certificates for private sellers only last the sooner of 2000km or 2 months so get one just before you advertise your car for sale to avoid addition cost required if you have to get another Safety Certficate.

Transfer fee and motor vehicle registration duty (for buying or selling a vehicle)

Transport QLD charges a vehicle transfer fee of $25.  Additional motor vehicle stamp duty often applies and is based off the cars value.  See the QLD Government Office of State Revenue website for how much vehicle registration duties cost.

Checking a vehicle for finance & other details before purchase

In QLD, the Office of Fair Trading offers checks on you vehicle through a business service called REVS.  REVS can tell you if a motor vehicle you are thinking of buying is carrying a debt.   You can obtain a REVS certificate for $12.00 by contacting 13 13 04.

keys License

All states and territories in Australia use a national driver license system. The national license classes contribute to road safety by better matching licence classes to the types of vehicles used on Australian roads making it easier to move between different States and Territories. License classes available are;

car Car

Car licenses apply to vehicles not exceeding 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and which carries less than 11 passengers.

motorcycle2 Motorcycle

Applies to 2 or three wheeled vehicle including using a sidecar or trailer with your motorbike.

light_rigid light_rigid2 Light Rigid (LR)

Applies to any rigid vehicle (ie, truck or bus) which is between 4.6-8.0 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you LR license.

medium_rigid_bus medium_rigid_truck Medium Rigid (MR)

Allows you to drive a two axel rigid vehicle more than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you MR license

heavy_rigid_bus heavy_rigid_truck Heavy Rigid (HR)

Can drive a rigid vehicle with 3 or more axels greater than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months to get you HR license.

heavy_combin1 heavy_combin2 Heavy Combination (HC)

Allows you drive a prime mover, single semi-trailer or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months and your MR for 12 months to get you HC license.

MC1 MC2 Multi Combination (MC)

Allows you to drive the same vehicles as a HC license although enable you to add one or more additional trailers. You must complete a course for you MC license and also held you HR or HC license for at least 12 months.

To find out more visit Queensland’s Licensing authority Transport QLD

custplates2 Custom Number Plates

QLD has a really great site with loads of number plate options.  The site is call PPQ (personalised plates QLD) and is run by the Queensland Government and has the most varied plate options available out of any state.  You can get backgrounds of the beach, the Aussie flag, endless summer, hello kitty and loads more.  They have loads of sport themes, cartoon themes, QLD themes, QLD regional themes and the list goes on, there are over 60 themes in total and you can even put your business logo on a number plate.

Queensland charge a once off fee for your personalised number plate and you can even upgrade your personalised plate without paying full price.  Prices for cars range from $395-$2295 with upgrades ranging from $195-$440.  Motorcycle plates range from $415-$2295 with upgrades from $195.

See PPQ for more information and to get started on your custom QLD plate design.

handcuff Demerit Points and Fees