Click a logo below to get a quote on your car insurance

New South Wales (NSW)

ctp_logo Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTP)

It is required by law for each motorist to hold CTP Insurance in Australia. It protects the driver or owner of the vehicle from personal injury claims made against them in the case of an accident. 

In New South Wales, CTP insurance is usually referred to as ‘Green Slip’ and must be purchased before the car can be registered.  Proof of payment comes through being provided a ‘Green Slip’ which is effectively the receipt.  There are several providers of CTP insurance in NSW with the policy conditions varying among insurers including some policies not providing personal injury cover to the driver at fault.  CTP insurance is regulated by the Motor Accidents Authority (MAA)

The MAA has made recent changes to Green Slip cover including a scheme called the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme (LTCS) which includes in all Green Slips cover to all children up to the age of 16 seriously injured motor accidents regardless of who was at fault. See the MAA website for more details about NSW Green Slips.

Go to the Car Cost Calculator to get an indication of what your CTP and Registration costs are or visit the relevant authority in your state.

rego_logo Registration

In NSW you need to register your vehicle with the Roads Transport Authority (RTA).  There are three steps to getting your registration in NSW;

1 – Renew your Green Slip – You will need to purchase CTP insurance to renew your Green Slip before you can register your vehicle.
2 – See if you require an e-Safety check (previously pink slip) and if so then organise for one to be done.  Your vehicle registration renewal notice will tell you whether you need an e-Safety check or not.  Vehicle over 5 years old will often need to get an e-Safety check.
3 – Once the above two items have been covered then you can go and register your vehicle.

Registration fees are calculated on the weight of your vehicle (GVM), the more it weighs the more you pay.   You will also need to pay a fee when you transfer the registration of the vehicle into another name, such as when you sell/buy a vehicle.   To calculate your motor vehicle registration fees use the RTA Rego Calculator and to calculate stamp duty go to NSW Government’s Motor vehicle registration duty calculator.

Motor vehicle registration (initial)

The cost of registering a motor vehicle for the first time will vary depending on the motor vehicle’s market value, the vehicle type, the Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and the use of the car (ie, private, business, etc).

Motor vehicle registration (renewal)

The cost of motor vehicle registration renewal will vary depending on the vehicle type, the Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and the use of the car (ie, private, business, etc).

Transfer fee and motor vehicle duty (for buying or selling a vehicle)

RTA charges a transfer fee is of $26.  Additional motor vehicle stamp duty often applies and is based off the cars value.

Checking a vehicle for finance & other details before purchase

In NSW, the Office of Fair Trading offers checks on you vehicle through a business service called REVS.  REVS can tell you if a motor vehicle or boat you are thinking of buying is carrying a debt.  They offer a free search on their website although is you want to obtain a REVS Search Certificate you will need to pay $13.30  This certificate gives you conditional legal protection against repossession due to the previous owner's unpaid debt.  You can purchase this certificate from their REVS website or by phoning them directly.

keys License

All states and territories in Australia use a national driver license system. The national license classes contribute to road safety by better matching licence classes to the types of vehicles used on Australian roads making it easier to move between different States and Territories. License classes available are;

car Car

Car licenses apply to vehicles not exceeding 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GMV) and which carries less than 11 passengers.

motorcycle2 Motorcycle

Applies to 2 or three wheeled vehicle including using a sidecar or trailer with your motorbike.

light_rigid light_rigid2 Light Rigid (LR)

Applies to any rigid vehicle (ie, truck or bus) which is between 4.6-8.0 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you LR license.

medium_rigid_bus medium_rigid_truck Medium Rigid (MR)

Allows you to drive a two axel rigid vehicle more than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 12 months to get you MR license

heavy_rigid_bus heavy_rigid_truck Heavy Rigid (HR)

Can drive a rigid vehicle with 3 or more axels greater than 8 tonnes GMV and tow a single trailer up to 9 tonnes. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months to get you HR license.

heavy_combin1 heavy_combin2 Heavy Combination (HC)

Allows you drive a prime mover, single semi-trailer or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GMV. You must have held a car license for at least 24 months and your MR for 12 months to get you HC license.

MC1 MC2 Multi Combination (MC)

Allows you to drive the same vehicles as a HC license although enable you to add one or more additional trailers. You must complete a course for you MC license and also held you HR or HC license for at least 12 months.

To find out more visit New South Wales’ Licensing authority RTA

custplates2 Custom Number Plates

NSW has 8 styles of plates and with ordering and payment being controlled by the NSW government run Roads Transport Authority (RTA).  Their range of plates is not as large as Tasmania’s, Victoria’s, QLD’s and beside the new NRL plates and the Euro series, NSW offer no real funky or unique number plate styles.

NSW has a one off and an annual fee associated with custom plates and so if you hold the plates over a long time it could end up costing you significantly more that the other states.  Prices are as follows:

Cars and trucks: the one off order fee ranges from $30-$71 and annual fee from $0-$500.  
Motorcycles: have 5 plate categories with one off fee ranging from $30-$36 and the annual fee from $0-$190.
Heavy vehicles: Has three plate styles with one off fees between $30-$36 and annual fees $0-$400.

See the RTA myPlates website for more details and to look at the styles available.

handcuff Demerit Points and Fees